Wednesday, July 31, 2013

An Open Rant to All Retailers (READ: Lululemon)

Kidding me?

I just came across an article on twitter, shared by the awesome @bec2point0, about a retailer who is shunning plus size shoppers.


Read article here.

Are you KIDDING ME LULULEMON?  Did anyone at all in your company go to business school?  Seriously...where do I even start.

You are an athletic clothing company.  Do you know who often works out and purchases athletic clothing? PLUS SIZE PEOPLE. And guess what?  Our customer loyalty would probably be better than someone who is a size 2.  Because GUESS WHAT!!!! We work out and lose weight! Gasp! Then we would trade in our size 12s for size 10s.  Then our size 10s for size 8s. Then our size 8s for size 6s.  And so on.  Does that not sound like a good target market? IT DOES TO ME!

But instead...per this article...you choose to throw size 12s and 10s in a heap in the back of your store. That is just pathetic and sad.  Do you have no pride?  Are you sooo successful that you can ignore thousands upon thousands of possible customers even though you carry products to cater to them?  Must. Be. Nice.

Yes, I understand that manufacturing plus size clothing could cost more due to more fabric and such.  But I'm sure a size 2 uses less fabric than a size 8, but of course that's not an issue...is it?  You state that creating plus size sizes would result in you charging more for the items...ok, and?  What's your point?  People who are plus size are used to this.  It happens ALL the time.  Old Navy is a prime example and I don't think they are losing customers over it.  Yeah it sucks, but consumers are willing to pay a little extra money to get what they want (well this consumer anyway).  I could understand not wanting to enter a new market that may not be successful...but research is confirming over and over again that there are billions of dollars in the plus size athletic wear market!  So what is a reason to NOT enter it?! Oh yeah...Abercrombie reminded us of that reason not too long ago...idiots.

On a personal note, I have been working very hard to lose weight and become healthier over the past few years.  I started as a size 24 and am currently at an 18.  Do you understand what that means?! That means that in the past 2 years I have purchased many new pairs of yoga pants.  Yup.  In FACT I counted how many I owned a while back and I believe it was about 18. Yes, 18 pairs of yoga pants in various sizes.  My point?  One day...when I would be able to fit my amazingly beautiful plush ass into size 12 yoga pants...I wanted to purchase these $90 yoga pants from you, Lululemon. But now I suppose my mind has changed, and that sucks....FOR YOU!  Because I have no control on my shopping habits and you just lost A LOT of money from me purchasing size 12s, 10s, 8s AND 6s from your store.

Sorry I'm not sorry.


P.S.- For an amazing pair of yoga pants...try Old Navy.  A store that I will forever be loyal to for the sole fact that when I was at my largest size, they always had cute options for me.  Now THAT'S how you create customer loyalty. Marketing 101...try enrolling into that Lululemon.

14 comments:

  1. Wow - that is awful about Lululemon and their attitude!! Great post - maybe if enough people get on board it will make a difference!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I was so upset to hear these things about this brand!! These negative perceptions need to change!

      Delete
  2. I can't agree with you more. I would also like to know when a size 10 & 12 became plus sized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a damn shame. A size 10/12 should be celebrated...not shunned! Grrr

      Delete
  3. You are a million percent right on this topic and it is incredibly angering that any business would entirely choose to shun an entire market that would be profitable to them.... As you said, I started at a 16/18 and now am a 4. Guess how many pairs of pants and sports bras and tops and athletic wear I have purchased along the way??? I can't even tell you because I lost weight and got rid of a lot of them, but let me just say it was A LOT. Like if I had to guess 100 pairs. No joke. I kind of am a fashion whore. Anyway, point being at a 16 or 18 when I started I had sizes to go and of course that effective customer loyalty to think about. Now that I am a size 4 and can shop anywhere I still choose to shop at the same place I bought my 16/18 size clothes because I appreciate them. Not to mention I have sisters who are larger who I am appalled on behalf of them. Just because I CAN fit into a brand doesn't mean I will if they are an awful company. I will never again purchase from Ambercrombie because of that fiasco and now apparently this company. It's bullshit.

    And you are also right in saying large people probably make up a lot of the athletic wear market anyway. Just insane isn't it. I too still love Old Navy and they are the only pair of jeans I personally rock every day because I appreciate them as a company; as you said, they have always been there for me. When my ass was growing and I was crying about my jeans not fitting, Old Navy was there for me. So I am still there for them today... Brand Loyalty. It matters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Could you imagine us with our shopping addiction just going nuts at Lululemon!? Too bad that will never happen! Power to us girlfriend. HERE COMES OUR MONEY OLD NAVY!!! <3 Forever loyal to that store!!!

      Delete
  4. Yes!! Love this post!

    One of my biggest gripes when working on losing weight was finding cute, comfy workout gear. I mostly found ugly sweats, shapeless tops, and ugly, frumpy colors. It was a self-esteem killer and sure as heck did NOT give me much incentive to work out. When I feel good in the workout clothes I have I am far more motivated to keep going and far more likely to keep shopping at particular store.

    Thank you so much for writing this post! It definitely needed to be said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!!! I LOVE looking cute when I workout. I don't care if I'm wearing size XL yoga pants...I still have the RIGHT to look adorably cute while working out! WHY CAN'T STORES UNDERSTAND THAT!!! So glad you agree! xoxo

      Delete
  5. It's amazing how narrow-minded some retailers can get. It does confuse me how a lot of stores exclude larger women from their range. Most of us that I know tend to buy things in multiples because it's a pain to find something that fits! So when you do, you buy at least two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true!! Retailers are really missing out on a lot of profit because of their "image" issues. It's sad...

      Delete
  6. I despise lululemon. Not only do they practice fat-discrimination, the sizes they do have run WAY small. I can wear regular sizes in other stores, but their biggest is still ridiculously tiny! They are also too expensive. Bah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!! :)

      Delete
  7. WOW, this is really upsetting to hear, because I was actually thinking of purchasing a sports bra from them. But this this kind of attitude, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was so sad to hear this. I always wanted to shop there...now I never will :(

      Delete