Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Guest Post: Best Pre and Post Cardio Workout Snacks!

I have some amazing blog readers. I really do!  You all are so supportive and KIND that it makes my heart melt.  I am so appreciative of all of you!  So when I was approached by someone for a guest post AND the topic was something I wanted to learn about...I had to jump on the opportunity! So here you are!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Pre and Post Cardio Workout Snacks!

We’ve all thought the “wouldn’t it make more sense to not eat before a workout?” Many think that by not eating your body will use all the energy from our fat deposits. A few surgeons I know where I work completely flipped when I asked them this question. However, this is completely wrong. It is proven that most of our energy when we workout come from the stored glycogen in our muscles, when this empties our muscles energy reduces from zero to negatives. It is very important to have a high carb meal or snack before you work out and then a mixture of carbs, protein and low fat to slowly replenish your energy. Also, don’t forget to drink water like it’s your job. Hydration is one of the most important factors for your workout pre and post.

Pre Workout

When? 30-60 Minutes before your workout. However, the closer to your workout the lighter the snack
What? CARBS add protein and a little fiber to deliver a steadier supply of energy throughout your workout to prevent fatigue
Why? For a great cardio session, carbs give you the energy to power through an intense workout because they are metabolized into glucose or energy very quickly. High glucose index carbs release sugar very quickly, providing a quick but brief energy boost
How much? Carbohydrates should constitute 75-100% of your pre-workout meal
Like what? Eat a small snack to help keep your blood sugar levels boosted, especially if your cardio is between meals or before breakfast.
  • Brown Rice
  • Whole grain pretzels
  • Whole grain breads
  • Granola
  • Quinoa
  • Couscous
  • Cereal
  • Fruit smoothie
  • Apples
  • Bananas
  • Yogurt
  • Whole grain crackers
  • Peanut butter
  • WATER

Things to avoid: High-fiber carbohydrates such as lentils or broccoli as a pre-workout snack. High-fiber foods can cause gas and indigestion during a workout and you probably don’t want that.

Post Workout

When? 30-60 minutes after your workout.
What? Foods high in carbs, moderate in protein and low in fat.
How much? 70% Carbs, 30% protein
Why? Your body needs to replenish the energy it spent slowly. Low glucose index carbs release sugar very slowly, giving you a steady amount of energy for the rest of the day. Muscles store excess energy in the form of glycogen and protein. When we work out, the instant energy provided by our pre-workout meal is used, after that our body begins breaking down glycogen stores from the muscle. Within a few hours the muscle source drops down to zero and then negative resulting in starving muscles. The purpose of a post-workout meal is to provide easily digestible carbs to fill up the muscles glycogen stores and proteins to build up lean muscle.
Like What?
  • Fruit and low fat Greek yogurt
  • Cereal with skim milk
  • Eggs in moderation (2-3 whole eggs/week)
  • Kefir- great source of protein, carbs, calcium, potassium, probiotics
  • Dried fruits and nuts
  • Turkey sandwich
  • Veggie omelette
  • Fruit smoothie (yogurt or milk based are better than water as they provide amino acids required for muscle recovery)
  • Cheese and crackers
  • Energy bar
  • Stir fry vegetables
  • WATER Lots of water

Bio: Hello, My name is Jen and I am a twenty-something blogger who loves to write about all things women, health, DIY, crafts, my cats and food! I have my own personal blog (LittleFurry Musings) and I also work for a Monarch Plastic Surgery, a medical and cosmetic practice in Kansas City where I receive most of my health knowledge from the greatest surgeons; they specialize in breast reconstructive surgery as well as breast augmentations. I also have two little kittens (they aren’t actually kittens I just call them that because they are adorable) named Brio and Zelda. I spend my days riding my bike, experiencing new things, hanging out with my boyfriend and cats while blogging about all about it. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone learned a bit from this guest post! I know I did!  I am open to guest posting as long as you have something to write about that fits in with the general idea of this blog.  Meaning: I write about my natural weightloss journey.  No shakes, no wraps, no fad diets.  If you have something to share that would fit in with what I write about, please share!  I am open to guest posts! :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This information was SO helpful! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you liked it! I needed this info too!! :)

      Delete
  2. Nice guest post and good list of options :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of chocolate milk post runs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fruits juices, apples, yogurt, cheese, and shakes are good for the pre workout foods. In post workout foods natural protein foods, milk, eggs, fish, meat, banana, protein shakes are the good choices.

    Maitland gyms

    ReplyDelete