Friday, August 9, 2013

Busting Out of My Comfort Zone (and a Weekly Recap)

This has been a really great week, and it's not even over yet!!  I was very motivated this week to get to the gym and I know it is all because I started the week off right!  Going to the gym on Sundays really helps me light a fire for the rest of the week! I really need to make a point to go EVERY Sunday!!

I also did a few things this week out of my comfort zone!! It was so nerve wracking and I was obsessing about them the whole time, but I still did them!  More on that below! :)

So here is my weekly recap:

Sunday I woke up early and headed to the gym for the 9:45 zumba class.  I went a little early so I could do a treadmill warm up before class!  Sometimes I get paranoid about reaching my 500 calorie goal so I do a little extra before class.  It's so much easier to do it before than have to stay after to get to 500...sometimes after class you just want to go home!  So after about 10 minutes on the treadmill I went into zumba. Love this class!  It's usually a fast paced zumba class and my heart rate is usually in the 150-160s! Andddd have a lot of fun in the process!  It's a win win, and I LOVE it!

Sunday morning workout!
Great way to set the pace for the week!
One thing I want to point out about Sunday is that I did something out of my comfort zone. During this weight loss journey it is important for me to not only change physically but to also change mentally.  Confidence about my body is something I work on everyday.  I have made so much progress in that department but of course I still have a long way to go.  I try to take baby steps now and then and on Sunday I took one.

When I work out I always wear a million bras because I have huge...you know, a tight tank top and a regular tshirt.  I changed this up a bit on Sunday. I was out and about shopping last week and came across a cool workout T at Old Navy and decided to try it only because of what it said, as you can see above.  "K[NO]W SWEAT, K[NO]W FUN".  This shirt isn't a regular tshirt it's like a fitted v neck tshirt. Yikes.  The sleeves were short and the actual shirt was kinda short.  I was so uncomfortable the whole time I was working out! It's just not what I'm used to.  I may wear it again just to practice doing things that make me uncomfortable so I can get over it.  But...yeah...I wanted to share that with you.

Yikes. "The Shirt"
So that was Sunday and it set me up for the week.  I came home and food prepped, I shared that "recipe" during the last post.

Monday is another zumba day.  Nothing exciting about that workout day so here we go...

Monday Zumba
Happy I reached 500!

As everyone knows, Tuesday's are one of my fav workout days because of the class I take!  It is my hardest one and I love taking it because of the challenge.  This Tuesday was extra special because the whole time I just felt like I was doing a better job in the class than ever before!  I was able to do more pushups, crunches and I EVEN DID REAL BURPEES!  This is huge for me!  I was always so nervous scared to try the burpees!  I mean...come on....those bastards are intimidating at first!  Just like the box jumps I was scared to even try but once I did, I was on a roll and kept doing them.  There is NO better feeling than conquering something that you were too scared to do before! YES! Winnnnn.

Tuesday's Body Works & Abs class
LOVE it!!!

 Wednesday's are usually Double Wednesdays where I usually do zumba and kickboxing back to back.  This week I knew I wasn't going to do both because one of the instructors was out on vacation. I know I know...I still could have stayed and did both with the sub instructor, but it just wouldn't be the same and well...yeah.  So anyways...because I knew I wasn't going to get the 1,000 calorie burn, I went hard during zumba. I gave it my all!

Wednesday Zumba
SO much fun and a GREAT burn!
So far those are the only workouts I have done this week!  I am hoping to get in another one tomorrow (Saturday) to reach my 5x a week!!  WOO!!!! I love when I accomplish my mini goals!  They really help me to keep going on this journey!

So like I said before, I did a few things out of my comfort zone. Here is another one...

Soooo back story: I have ALWAYS loooooved JCrew.  I love it.  It's nautical and preppy and a dream. Ugh. Amazing.  Unfortunately they only go up to a 14 and I'm not quite there yet (hopefully soon).  Well long story short a few months ago I was browsing the JCrew website and just came across a skirt that had Julie written alllll over it.  It was a navy and white mini skirt with anchors on it. I mean...come on.  Is that me or what?! I wrote a post about when I first got the skirt here in case you missed it. I bought it in XL and when it delivered to my house I ripped it open and tried it on.  It "fit" and I was happy.  I never wore it because I was insecure about how it fit. It just didin't seem like it fit right so it just sat in my closet for MONTHS.  Then this week...with summer almost over (ugh)...I decided to give it a try.  I tried it on again and I looooved how it fit! It looked really cute!  So I must have lost inches since March because it fit so much better than before and I felt cute and confident in it.  YAY! I still felt weird about leaving the house in it since it's a short skirt and different from what I usually wear...aka out of my comfort zone.  I was so paranoid someone would be like "I have that skirt too but it doesn't look like that on me." (omg the stupid shit we worry about...seriously?  I am calling myself out on that one...) I decided to just go with it so I wore it to work that day and I received SO many compliments!  Hearing people say how cute I looked that day helped me get over my insecurities.  I know it's so annoying that I only get comfortable in an outfit after someone tells me it's cute...but it's true.  I now love this outfit.

My FIRST JCrew Outfit!
YAY YAY YAY

So that was my week so far!  It's Friday and I'm happy!  This was a really good week and I have no regrets!  I'm looking forward to a great weekend!

P.S.- I tried a new "ice cream" this week and I actually really liked it! It's called Artic Zero and there are mixed reviews about it everywhere, however, I'm a fan!  You can have the whole pint of ice cream for 150 calories! Now...don't get too excited...it's far from real ice cream but it's really good if you doctor it up a bit! I added some natural peanut butter and bananas.  I also didn't eat the whole pint in one sitting so adding the peanut butter didn't make my dessert a calorie monstrosity. I thought I would share my thoughts about a new product I tried!  If you end up trying it, let me know how you like it and what flavor you tried! And if you hate it...don't get mad at me! haha :)








13 comments:

  1. So why is it ok to support Jcrew but not Lulumon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'm not knowledgeable about JCrew but I haven't heard any negative news about them and their business practices. They offer a size 14 which is known to be in the "plus size" category. On their website they always have size 14 in stock and I am not aware of them bashing larger sizes.

      I really liked Lululemon until I learned more about their views on things. It used to be a goal of mine to fit into there too! But why would I want to work hard just to fit into a store that doesn't even want me shopping there? It's hurtful and I wouldn't sell myself out like that.

      I have always said and I always will say that I will be loyal to a store that has items available for me when I was a larger girl. Offering a size 14 is a huge step because of the "idea" of it being the start of plus size sizing. I feel that if a store offers that size that they are not trying to shut out a target market on purpose. That's just what I think...everyone could think different.

      If you know of anything about JCrew, please share it!

      Delete
  2. It's not that I'm all that knowledgeable about JCrew, I guess I'm just confused...it seems like neither really make a point to reach out to the plus-sized community. A 14 is the average size of an American woman, so they hardly are reaching out, basically every mainstream store goes up to at least a 14, and most go up to at 16-18.

    I think JCrew wants to align themselves to the same standard of Lulumon, sophisticated and upscale, which, it would seem to mean, just doesn't mean plus-sized. The fact that JCrew doesn't outright say it doesn't mean that they are any better of an example. Because if they DID want to show that plus-sized women can wear their sophisticated and upscale clothing, they would make a line for them. I am 5'4"--they have a petite line for me. So it's not like they aren't aware that there are different sizes. I am very knowledgeable about the fashion industry in general, and if they want to make plus sized clothing, they would. If the average sized woman is a 14-that means that nearly half of those women are OVER that size.

    I'm not saying you can't like JCrew, I hope you don't take offense. I'm simply saying that they seem awfully similar to me. They both are staying silent on the fact that bigger girls want to wear their clothes and are shutting them out because that's not who they want to appeal to. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DEF see where you are coming from and I do agree. I guess there is just so much more to everything behind closed doors. I am very naive when it comes to things so you are probably right in saying JCrew feels the same and just doesn't put their opinions in the media. I guess in a way every store has something about them that is negative or shutting out some type of target market. I just have respect for JCrew for at least offering the size 14. Idk...

      No worries!! :) No offense taken! Like I said, I am so naive and am always oblivious to certain things unless they are brought to my attention! Thank you for your comments!!!

      Delete
  3. First that skirt looks really good on you. I almost bought that same shirt from Old Navy but didn't because of the length and I would have to keep puling it back down during my insanity class at the gym. Props to you for going out of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are too sweet! <3

      Right!!! Isn't it kinda short?! I noticed that too and I also was pulling it down often. It is cute tho...I really like the message! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm not good at getting out of my comfort zone ... I like my comfort zone. It's comfortable there *Ü* Good for you for pushing yourself.

    I like your little workout collage images. Zumba is out of my comfort zone, I have not tried it yet (other than once to a DVD). I occasionally get in an hour of exercise at a time (jogging the track during the boy's basketball games) but I'm more a "20minutes at a time" gal ... but I do that several times a day and it adds up.

    I do think you looked very cute in your short skirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love my comfort zone too!! But sometimes it's nice to get a bit out of it?! Maybe....lol

      Oh you should totally try zumba!! It is intimidating at first thinking that everyone will see you dance around like a crazy person...BUT...everyone is doing it and no one really pays attention to you! They are all worried about doing their own thing. It's so much fun! You should try it! :)

      Thank you for being so sweet! :) xoxo

      Delete
  5. You are a ROCKSTAR girl! You look so amazing! I wanted to let you know that I really am inspired by all of your posts.

    I tried the Artic Zone PB chocolate...GAG!!!! The texture is way weird...straight to the trash. I will save some caloires for my Edys slow churned! lol

    Keep up the awesome work! And for all of the REAL LIFE people who judge you...forget them! They aren't worth your worry girl! Keep doing what you are doing and SHOW them you know your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! You are too sweet!

      HAHA!! I heard the PB Chocolate Artic Zero was disgusting! Which...come ON! How is anything PB and chocolate gross?! Haha! I liked the cookies and cream one. I added a little peanut butter on my own. It's no ice cream but I would eat it again. The texture is weird LOL!!!

      Thank you for your kind words!!! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Pretty! I love your blog and I'm following immediately! Seeing that drenched t-shirt and the numbers on your Polar are enough to make anyone get off the couch. :-)

    Keep it up!

    ~Enyonam
    http://transitioningto143.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shut up, that is suuuuuper cute!!!! I wanna dress like you when I grow up. (LOL I'm 28, it's about time!)

    ReplyDelete