Monday, May 20, 2013

Trying to Find a Happy Medium

Is there one?  And by a happy medium I mean a healthy balance between living a healthy/active lifestyle while being a single 28 year old girl who is slightly immature and likes to drink for fun. Let me explain...

I try not to drink anymore unless there is a special occasion.  Saturday night was a special occasion and I ended up going out in Philadelphia for the night.  I had planned all week for this event and made sure I hit the gym hard all week.  I planned out my food and was on point for the majority of the week knowing I would be drinking some calories Saturday night.

The most important thing for me on this weightloss journey is to find a way to lose this weight without giving up my lifestyle.  Meaning: something that I can do the rest of my life without feeling like I am being restricted from living the life I want to live.  I guess this is why my journey is going slow but it's important to do something that will last forever...because in the end...this is a forever change.  With that being said...I am going to do whatever I want but that also means that I must plan and prepare for it.  In my last post I explained the rough start of my week, but of course I ended strong.  So this is what I did to compensate for my night out Saturday night:


There is a phone app called streaks.  I love it!  I love keeping
track of all my workouts and making mini goals of getting to the
gym a certain amount of days a week.  My goal is at least 5 days.  Since I had
to take rest days on Monday and Tuesday due to my foot, I knew I had to go strong
the rest of the week...and I did.

Thursday night sweat sesh.  1hr on elliptical, 30 mins on treadmill.

Friday workouts.  Feeling determined I did 2 workouts that night!
45 mins of cardio before my personal training session!  Yeah buddy!
Saturday morning breakfast! I needed fuel for the gym!  So good.
Saturday gym sesh!  I did some C25K and then the elliptical for another 30 mins!

I know that going out drinking Saturday night probably cancelled out my hard work this week, but you have to indulge once in awhile right?  I did drink lower calorie options so I am sure the damage isn't too bad.  I am just going to work HARD this week in the gym and in the kitchen to make up for my fun weekend.

I feel great about my workouts this week.  I am feeling a lot stronger.  Especially since I am lifting now! I love it.  My weight has not really budged but I'm ok with that.  I know that working out different muscles than I'm used to can cause a small weight gain/lack of loss.  It is what it is.  They do call this a weightloss journey, not a weightloss sprint.

10 comments:

  1. You truly have posed the age old dilemma of weight-loss. You want to live a life that is sustainable for life. I do believe that it’s perfectly okay to go out and enjoy yourself on occasion. Think back to your life before you cared about your health… did you drink more often? Did you eat bad things all week? Knowing you were going to go out on a Saturday night and drink, did you make any compensation during the week to plan for it? I think not. I know because I am exactly the same way. It’s hard to not feel a little guilt since you do work so hard in the gym to compensate. But as you said, this is something you have to be able to do the rest of your life and as a single 28 year old girl there is NOTHING wrong with drinking. I enjoy a Friday night beverage myself. You are finding your balance and it’s okay. As you said it’s a journey not a sprint. So what if that one night of drinks means you added an extra day or two to your ultimate goal. Guess what, allowing for that one day of indulging with drinks keeps you going on this journey so that you do eventually get to the goal. I believe if we don’t allow ourselves any flexibility we will quit because it won’t be feasible forever.

    BTW, your gym workouts are the bomb and so inspiring. Which is why I finally joined a gym this weekend. I’m like I’ve got to get in on this action and try out some other shit. I can do this… so Thank you!!!

    I’m so invested in your journey now that I can’t imagine not hearing about where you’re at as you can’t ever quit, kay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww <3 you're my favorite! I am so glad you joined a gym!! You will probably become addicted! Such a good addiction to have! :) I promise I won't ever quit!!! :) xoxoxox

      Delete
  2. Wow I think this is awesome! If I would have had this attitude at your age I won't be struggling at mine! (36)

    Love your blog! Keep it up sister you will get there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! At least you have this attitude now! You can do it!!!!! <3

      Delete
  3. You are inspiring me friend! I signed up with an online trainer and that is helping me have some direction in the gym. Heart you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! <3 Sometimes a little help is all we need! :) Yay for trainers!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I'm a new follower. I see that you eat an avocado mash almost everyday and it looks really good. How do you make it? Do you cut everything up and stick it in a blender?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiii!! So funny you say that because everyone makes fun of me because I really do eat it almost everyday...in fact...last night I switched things up and now I can't wait to get back to my avocado for dinner! HAHA! :)

      All I do is take a ripe avo and mash it up with a fork. Add chopped up tomato and a little red onion. Then I add just a tad bit of salt and pepper and mix it all up! Using a blender would probably work for the avocado but I like the chunky tomatoes in there. It's super easy and it tastes SO good with chicken, steak or shrimp! Yum! :)

      Delete
  5. You are doing awesome! I am totally with you in regards to the alcohol thing. I'm not a huge drinker BUT every once in awhile it's nice to go out with friends and enjoy yourself! This weight loss journey is defanitely a sprint and I think we deserve a few cocktails along the way! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That app looks so cool! I actually just downloaded it after reading this article! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete