Thursday, September 18, 2014

Everything Happens For a Reason

Wow...where can I even start?  The end of the Summer was the worst time of my life thus far.

I truly believe that everything happens for a reason.  If something doesn't work out in your favor...I strongly believe that is because it wasn't meant to be. Long story short....I started a new job and it didn't work out and in the end I got an even better new new job.

With that being said...my current weightloss situation is bad. Very very bad.  My job is now right outside NYC and my commute is an hour and 45 minutes each way.  I wake up at 6:15am and get home from work anytime between 7-8pm.  It's brutal.  I'm always tired and my weekends are spent catching up on sleep and staying out of the car haha.  I haven't been food prepping and my eating has been not the best.

I really have to move north.  Ugh.  I LOVE PHILADELPHIA :(  I don't want to move! I love NYC but I don't really want to live in North Jersey.  However...in my line of work you have to go to where the jobs are...which are usually outside big cities.  I really like this new job so I am willing to move a little north...but not that far!!

I hope to move at the end of October.  Once that happens I hope to cut down the time I spend commuting so that I can actually have a life m-f and get back to my working out.  I've gained weight and I can tell and it hate it.  I feel gross and I need my workouts!

I'm also really sad that I can't workout with my friend and do our fit by 30 idea.  We can still do it on our own but doing it together was what it was all about. :(

Sorry I've been so MIA but I really had to step away from everything and sort my life out.  Now that it's almost sorted...haha...I can start to get back into my old habits! :)

8 comments:

  1. I can really sympathise with your commuting woes - I did 2.5 years of a 2 hour each way (minimum) commute and it that really tears a huge chunk out of your life.

    Some things that I learned which helped me a lot.

    * Get control of your sleep - you want to be aiming for 90% sleep efficiency per night and no napping/oversleeping on weekends. This frees up oodles of time and as your quality of sleep is much better you will feel better too. I suffered from insomia for more than 30 years, improving my sleep efficiency has been a miracle for me; I actually only get one average about 30 minutes a night more sleep than I used to, but the quality is so much better that I no longer need naps, and I spend about 2-3 fewer hours a day 'trying' to sleep, that is free time I get back!

    * This means you will be able to get up an hour earlier and fit in some exercise before work which helps you to have energy all day, AND sleep better at night.

    * Set aside 2-3 hours one day of your weekend and do a BIG cook ahead with 3 or pots going at once of easily portioned/freeze/reheat meals. Bam, now your evenings are basically free, and you have lunches sorted each day. A tray of baked breakfasts things made on the weekend, frozen and thawed each day ALSO takes care of an eat on the go brekky - perfect to have in the car and saving you 20 minutes in the morning.

    * If you have a local grocery store that support this - shop online and have all your weekly groceries delivered. I like that to be timed for the morning of the day of my big cook off. I process all the foods for cooking straight away and only need to put away household items/perishables. This is much more efficient that dropping by the shops every couple of days.

    * Get in the habit of doing your dishes/picking up the house/putting on your wash/making the bed etc when you are boiling the kettle/using the microwave/waiting for tea or coffee to steep. Those 4 minute intervals add up to a lot of productivity and help keep 'on top' of the little things that accumulate into BIG things after 3 or 4 days.

    * If you aren't already in the habit, lay out tomorrow's clothes (including your workout clothes) the night before. For some reason this saves much more time than you would think.

    * I also liked to listen to audiobooks or language learning stuff while commuting - it helps me to feel like that travel time is not dead/wasted time. I was learning (and with 3+ hours a day you can learn a LOT). Plus that keeps the brain engaged, there is a nasty tendency to get a bit zombified by the long commute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I love all of these tips!!! THANK YOU! Esp the cleaning part bc that has been nonexistent! I can't wait to move so that I can properly bake and prep! My kitchen is so small! I have no room to prep! I do sometimes prep protein but it would be so much better if I had a proper space!

      I love the idea of baking items for breakfast. Right now I'm eating frozen diet breakfast sandwiches and a yogurt. I feel like I could be making better choices.

      I really need to get a workout in on the weekends!!!!! I love all of your ideas!! Thank you so much. Now...to actually try them :)

      Delete
  2. Long commutes are the worst. I used to have an epic commute like that on transit. It was brutal. Moving will help. And those tips from Mog are great. I might have to use some of those and my current commute is only 5 minutes (don't be jealous, at least you love your job).

    Glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you. Recently, I started working night shift only and my sleeping schedule and weight loss efforts suffer greatly. But on the plus side, commute is great now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! As long as you have a better commute, that's a positive! Me must find time for healthy habits...

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your new job and I agree that things happen for a reason. When one door closes another opens so we are always blessed even when it doesn't seem. Commuting of one hour and 45 minutes is crazy and it's hard to find time to workout when you have a busy schedule. Leeman

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cupcakes in your background. Your make-up is flawless!

    ReplyDelete